The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Physical Therapy program in conjunction with the American Physical Therapy Association is celebrating national physical therapy month in October. Over the course of the month we will be sharing some tips for how to keeping your family healthy and active as part of the “Smart Moves for Families” campaign.
This week’s tips include:
- Plan weekend family activities involving physical activity, such as hiking, swimming, bicycling, mini-golf, tennis or bowling. Fall is finally here in South Carolina so get out and enjoy the crisp morning air we have.
- Help your child plan physical activities with friends and neighbors, such as skating or softball. Offer to be the umpire or referee so you too get a work out.
- Have you kids brainstorm a “rainy day” game plan of indoor activities involving fitness games such as Wii Fit or Dance Dance Revolution.
- Remember that your family does not need to join a health club or buy fancy equipment to be active. Walking isn’t costly and it’s easy. Take advantage of the beauty that surrounds us in South Carolina, go for a walk on the beach or lake near you.
- Design a backyard obstacle course. Weights can be made from juice or detergent bottles filled with sand or water.
These are just a few ideas to get you and your family out moving. Let us know how your family is staying fit and connecting through healthy activities by sending us your tips to share.