May is Melanoma Awareness Month – the perfect time to brush up on sun safety tips and cancer risk factors before the start of summer. New diagnoses of Melanoma – a potentially deadly form of skin cancer – are on the rise and the rates in South Carolina are higher than the national average. Use this information to protect yourself and your family. And remember, schedule an annual skin check with a dermatologist for everyone in your family.
Sun Safety Tips:
- Always wear a minimum of 15 SPF sunscreen
- Avoid tanning beds
- Seek the shade between 10am and 4pm
- Have an annual full-body skin check
Melanoma & Skin Cancer Risk Factors:
- Fair skin
- A family history of skin cancer
- Sun exposure and early childhood sunburns
- Use of sunlamps and tanning beds
- Type and quantity of moles
The Spa at Charleston Place hosts it’s 5th annual “I Will Reflect” kickoff party on Monday, May 7th – starting at 6pm. Enjoy hors-d’oeuvres, cocktails, a swimwear fashion show and a silent auction. The event is free, but there is a suggested donation of $10. Proceeds from the evening will benefit skin cancer research at MUSC.
Learn about MUSC’s melanoma treatment program – the only one of its kind in South Carolina.