May is Melanoma Awareness Month – the perfect time to brush up on your knowledge of this deadly form of skin cancer.
Did You Know?
- In 2013, 76,690 Americans will be diagnosed with melanoma
- New diagnoses of melanoma are on the rise and the rates in South Carolina are higher than the national average
- Every time your skin tans or burns, its cells are damaged – after 5 or more sunburns, your risk of melanoma doubles
- One indoor tanning session increases your melanoma risk by 20%
Sun Safety Tips:
- Always wear a minimum of 15 SPF sunscreen
- Avoid tanning beds
- Seek the shade between 10am and 4pm
- Have an annual, full-body skin check
Melanoma & Skin Cancer Risk Factors:
- Fair skin
- A family history of skin cancer
- Sun exposure and early childhood sunburns
- Use of sunlamps and tanning beds
- Type and quantity of moles
Use this information to protect yourself and your family. More tips and information to help you stay safe in the sun!
The Spa at Charleston Place is hosting the S.P.F. (Skin.Party.Fashion.) Event, a poolside cocktail party, on Thursday, May 9th from 7pm to 10pm. During the event, which coincides with the national melanoma awareness week, you will enjoy a fashion show featuring local designers and retailers, while sipping on drinks and snacking on tasty hors d’oeuvres. Most importantly, you will get to meet our “I Will Reflect” ambassadors, learn about skin protection tips from MUSC doctors and bid on fabulous silent auction items.
There is a suggested donation of $20, which will help fund skin cancer research at MUSC. RSVP by e-mail to: SpaIntern@CharlestonPlace.com
Learn about MUSC’s melanoma treatment program – the only one of its kind in South Carolina.