On November 23, 2011, 8 year old Zach Szala was playing with his family in Wannamaker Park when he stepped on a Canebrake Rattlesnake and was bitten twice in the leg. With his health quickly deteriorating, Zach was rushed to MUSC Children’s Hospital’s Emergency Room. Upon arrival Zach had been resuscitated by paramedics twice and was in critical condition. After receiving more than 30 vials of anti-venom, Zach was suffering from paralysis from the neck up. He spent three weeks in the ICU and a total of five weeks at MUSC. Zach’s road to recover has been long, but today he is almost 100% recovered and his family gives credit to MUSC’s staff for his recovery.
Zach’s aunt Ansley Crabtree said MUSC staff “not only saved Zach’s life, they offered comfort, support, and hope to the family. I know he would not have recovered like he did if it wasn’t for MUSC. I cannot thank the whole staff enough for saving his life. Thank You for everything you did, not just for Zach, but the whole family.”
The story of Zach’s miraculous recovery can be followed on Facebook at: Facebook – Zach Szala Snake Wrangler.